He was the K in K-Tel


I have been mostly off the grid since April 21st when my wife called to tell me Prince had passed. The following day, my other Dad succumbed to a brain tumor just six weeks after his diagnosis. Needless to say I am a bit numb. And then I turned 50 on the 27th, enjoying the comfort and love of my family - my Mom flew in just for the occasion though she will be sticking around for a couple weeks of vacation. Like I said, I have not been on the internet except to work on Blogger  a bit though I have been checking email and trading texts with those closest to me. On Friday, I received an email from Lisa Wheeler, who introduced herself despite needing no introduction. While I have only mentioned her once here on The Kollection, Lisa Wheeler is a HUGE figure here. She humbly introduced herself as the K-Tel Chick, which is how many K-Tel fans know her. She founded and ran the world's premier K-Tel site, K-Tel Classics, before it was shut down by K-Tel. She was emailing me to express her mixed emotions regarding the passing of Mr. K, Philip Kives (KEY-ves), the man who was K in K-Tel, on my birthday.
I pay my respects to Mr. K here today - without him, there would be no K-Tel Kollection - and announce that the K-Tel Kollection, despite having just a few albums left to cover, will be on an open-ended hiatus until I regain some traction. Hopefully, it will be soon as my Dad's birthday and the year-long anniversary of his passing is coming up and then it is Summer, still my favorite time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment