DANCING MADNESS [1983]

In researching this post, I came across a dozen folks who swear that 1983's Dancing Madness is THE BEST K-TEL ALBUM EVER. Most, like my own fourteen-year-old sister in 1983, had Dancing Madness on cassette, while others owned it on 8-track and a few even had the album on vinyl. I picked up my copy of the vinyl album for 50 cents plus a few cents in city and state sales taxes around my fortieth birthday in 2006.
Dancing Madness has some really good songs. But it also has Musical Youth, that OXO song and The Hollies covering The Supremes. I think a couple of these songs didn't even make the Pop Top 40 and probably less than half of the tracks made the Pop Top 10 with maybe just one Electric Avenue going all the way to Number One. Let's fire up the newly redesigned K-Tel Scale and see how well Dancing Madness scores.
DANCING MADNESS [1983]
23.50Billboard Top 40s
PopR&BDANCERockACCB
Come DancingThe Kinks6
17
1611
(Keep Feeling) FascinationThe Human League81147
Always Something There To Remind MeNaked Eyes83720317
Cool PlacesSparks And Jane Wiedlin13
Whirly GirlOXO2829
Pass The DutchieMusical Youth1081114
Electric AvenueEddy Grant2186121
Time (Clock Of Heart)Culture Club23463
Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)A Flock Of Seagulls26335
Stop In The Name Of LoveThe Hollies29829
Juicy FruitMtume13035
Don't You Get So MadJeffrey Osborne2532927
I was right about a couple things but totally messed up predicting a Number One Song though "Electric Avenue" did rise up to Number Two, blocked from reaching Number One for three weeks by The Police's "Every Breath You Take". Dancing Madness scores a 23.50, well below 28.21 which is the average K-Tel Scale score after 73 albums here on The K-Tel Kollection. Brandon Hixson has uploaded his needle drop of the album:

Show N K-Tel featured the album back in June 2014:
While I could not find any 8-track art of Dancing Madness, I did come across the cassette j-card:

Next time around, we'll be featuring another K-Tel album from 1983, featuring tracks by Kool & the Gang, The Pointer Sisters and Evelyn "Champagne" King.

2 comments:

  1. I love that album but starting Next Thursday I'm gonna get that 1983 K-Tel Record Album at The Goodwill Store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this album! My brother and I would listen to this on vinyl late 80's early 90's while dancing around our pool table. Every time I hear a song from this album it brings me back!

    ReplyDelete